Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Great News for a Change: May's Clayton Home is Saved

12 Brentmoor 02.jpg
About two years ago I posted the story of the demolition of Morton D. May's Ladue estate, the 1941 International Style masterpiece by Samuel Marx. This holiday season though I have the pleasure of bringing fantastic news!

Yesterday I received the following anonymous comment regarding Morton D. May's second modernist home in Clayton: "Hi Paul! My husband & I recently purchased 12 Brentmoor Park. You will be happy to know that we plan on lovingly restoring it, NOT tearing it down. Thanks for highlighting some local gems!"

Earlier this year, May's Brentmoor home had been listed for sale as a potential tear-down. While the house was in very good shape on the exterior, its semi-gutted interior did not point to a very positive future. Fortunately a couple with the vision to preserve this modern beauty has bucked the trend of destruction for fake castles. To this I can only say THANK YOU!

IMG_7628.JPG

3 comments:

STLgasm said...

GREAT NEWS! Victory!

samizdat said...

HUZZAH!

Anonymous said...

WOOHOO!!! "thank you" to the couple who purchased this awesome home!